Type A - Undergraduate (UG)
TYPE A UNDERGRADUATE
HOW TO MAKE AN ONLINE APPLICATION
Please read “THE GUIDELINES FOR APPLICANTS’ before completing your application.
Use the CANDIDATES’ PORTAL https://apply.abburs.eu/new to make an ONLINE APPLICATION
Please click on the this link for a Sample UNDERGRADUATE Application Form and Guidance document to help applicants to complete the online application form. DO NOT complete or try to fill in the sample form. Complete the ONLINE application form and print a copy as per the instructions.
Remember to PRINT A PDF VERSION of your application and submit a SIGNED AND DATED HARD COPY as well.
Enclose all DOCUMENTS LISTED IN PART D –SECTION 12 of the SAMPLE APPLICATION document into your application envelope and tick the boxes as appropriate
Further important documents can be found on the bottom of this page.
Scholarship TYPE A – Undergraduate (UG):
Applicants applying under Scholarship TYPE A-UG must belong to the Turkish Cypriot community and be final year high school students enrolled in a high school in Cyprus or undergraduate students enrolled in a university or equivalent higher education institution located in the northern part of Cyprus. Graduates of any high school located in Cyprus wishing to start an undergraduate course are also eligible to apply. On the other hand, undergraduate students expecting to graduate by the end of July 2017 should apply under Scholarship TYPE B - PG.
Within this category applicants will compete in 3 different rankings:
- A1) Turkish Cypriot Final Year High School Students or High School Graduates who never studied in an educational institution outside Cyprus. This sub-category is open to applicants who are attending or are graduates from a high school whose primary language of teaching is English. Applicants will compete on a ranking list for an approximate 60% of the available budget for Type A scholarships as indicated on page 2 under Budget. Turkish Cypriot undergraduate students enrolled in a university or equivalent higher education institution located in the northern part of Cyprus are also eligible to apply in this category;
1The eligibility criteria required supporting documents and grant allocations have been set by the Scholarship Programme funding body in consultation with relevant stakeholders external to the Contracting Authority (British Council).
- A2) Turkish Cypriot Final Year High School Students or Graduates from Turkish medium High Schools who never studied in an educational institution outside the northern part of Cyprus. This sub-category is open only to applicants who studied, or who are studying, in the northern part of Cyprus in a High School that uses Turkish language as main language of teaching (SadeceTurkce dilinde egitim veren duz liseler'de). Applicants in this sub-category will compete on a ranking list for an approximate 30% of the available budget for Type A scholarships as indicated on page 2 under Budget. Turkish Cypriot undergraduate students enrolled in a university or equivalent higher education institution located in the northern part of Cyprus are also eligible to apply in this category. Only applicants under this sub-category are eligible to apply for a scholarship to be used also for a preparatory/foundation year of studies in any EU country;
- A3) Turkish Cypriot Final Year High School Students or High School Graduates who already studied for at least one full academic year or equivalent (minimum of 9 months) in an educational institution located outside Cyprus and within the EU or in a Country where an EU Official language is spoken (e.g., for family reasons during primary or secondary school years or in the framework of a high-school international exchange programme or in a foundation or preparatory year abroad or for a gap-year in a foreign language school) will compete on a ranking list for an approximate 10% of the budget for Type A scholarships as indicated on page 2 under Budget. Turkish Cypriot undergraduate students enrolled in a university or equivalent higher education institution located in the northern part of Cyprus are also eligible to apply;
Grantees under this category will be able to follow an undergraduate programme for the Academic Year 2017/18 in a university or equivalent institution of higher education (formally accredited by the authorities of the host country) in an EU country, with the exclusion of the northern part of Cyprus. Only applicants classified under sub-category A2 will be able to attend a preparatory or foundation year. The scholarships will be awarded exclusively for the academic year 2017/18 which under the terms of the call is considered to run from 1st September 2017 to 31st August 2018. The scholarship has to be taken for the Academic Year 2017/18 and cannot be postponed. Academic calendars vary in different countries, and slightly different calendars may be accepted. The scholarships will cover one academic year of the programme of study. The programme chosen must be full-time.
- A scholarship in the form of a lump sum of €15,000 will be granted. This is calculated on the basis of €1,420 a month (on the formula that one academic year lasts an indicative period of 10 months) plus €800 for expenses of flight ticket (allowance based on an average return flight fare in economy class).
- For grantees choosing to study in Cyprus (with the exclusion of the northern part of Cyprus) a scholarship in the form of a lump sum of €7,500 will be granted on the basis of €750 a month (on the formula that one academic year lasts an indicative period of 10 months).
- Under this scholarship programme family or child allowances cannot be paid.
Based on the utilization of funds the Contracting Authority, the British Council, reserves the right to award scholarships to a maximum of 2 outstanding applicants for up to 3 years of undergraduate study for their chosen programme. These undergraduates will be chosen from those who have never studied outside Cyprus. They will be selected based on the highest scores achieved during the evaluation process, in so far as they have applied for undergraduate programmes that are more than 1 year long. The scholarship sum for the additional years will be equal to the annual lump sum granted for the first year of study, subject to reports on attendance and successful completion of the academic year.
Eligibility Criteria for Undergraduate:
- Must belong to the Turkish Cypriot community.
- Must be born in Cyprus or one of the parents must be born in Cyprus.
- Must be at least 18 years old at the signature of the scholarship contract (in case the applicant is awarded a grant). Where the applicant is under 18 at the moment of signing the scholarship contract, the parent or the legal guardian will be required to sign a parental consent form to comply with the British Council Child Protection Policy. In addition the parent or the legal guardian will be required to sign the contract for the receipt of grant*.
- Must be able to attend and complete the programme and must declare that there are no health conditions that prevent them from doing so.
- Must be a student registered for the Academic Year 2016/17 in a high school in Cyprus or an undergraduate student registered in a university or equivalent higher education institution located in the northern part of Cyprus. Graduates of any high schools located in Cyprus are also eligible (i.e., applicants having graduated from a high school in the past and currently not enrolled under any other form of higher education). Undergraduate students registered for the Academic Year 2016/17 in a university or equivalent higher education institution outside the northern part of Cyprus are not eligible to apply under this category.
- Must have studied at least 7 years full time in a primary, secondary or high school in Cyprus or in a higher education institution in the northern part of Cyprus. The minimum period of 7 years does not have to be continuous and will be considered cumulatively from any of these types of institutions. NB: if the applicant is enrolled for the current academic year (i.e. 2016/17) in a high school in Cyprus or in a higher education institution in the northern part of Cyprus, the current academic year will count towards attaining the 7 years herewith mentioned as one of the minimum requirement for the eligibility of applicants.
- Must have sufficient knowledge of the language of the programme chosen at the host university or equivalent institution of higher education.
- Must not have benefited from any scholarship grant under previous EU programmes for the TC Community. i.e. the Community Scholarship Programme 2007/08 and 2008/09, the EU Scholarship Programme 2009/10 and the Scholarships for the Turkish Cypriot Community Programme 2010/11, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2013/14, 2014/15, 2015/16 and 2016/17.
Applicants who do not meet all the eligibility criteria above will be rejected.
*this is in line with British Council policy on child protection and contracting procedures.
Required documents for Undergraduates:
- 2 recent passport size photographs.
- A copy of the birth certificate showing that the applicant belongs to the Turkish Cypriot community and was born in Cyprus (only a copy of the birth certificate will be accepted and not an ID card or passport copy). Where the applicant was born outside Cyprus, in addition to the copy of the applicant's birth certificate, a copy of the birth certificate of one of the parents showing that (s)he belongs to the Turkish Cypriot community and was born in Cyprus should also be submitted (the applicant is required to submit documents with identical full name of the parent on both the applicant's birth certificate and the parent's birth certificate). The Contracting Authority reserves the right to require additional proof of effective ties with the Turkish Cypriot community as necessary to perform the analysis of compliance with the above eligibility criteria.
- Copies of diplomas of a high school located in Cyprus (if applicable, i.e. if the applicant has already graduated from high school), or copies of transcripts for the last finalized year
- Only applicable for undergraduate students enrolled in a university or higher education institution: copies of official transcripts for all academic years attended, including this current one (i.e. 2016/17), from a university or equivalent higher education institution located in the northern part of Cyprus.
- Copies of additional certificates, transcripts or student reports for each academic year proving that the applicant studied cumulatively at least 7 years full time in Cyprus (in a primary or secondary education institution or in a high school in Cyprus or in a higher education institution in the northern part of Cyprus). These may be obtained from your school/university or relevant education authority. Please note that certificates or transcripts must be presented for each academic year, proving that the applicant studied cumulatively for at least 7 years full time in Cyprus, including, where applicable, this current academic year.
- Certificate of Residence proving the applicant’s current valid address. The address has to be the same as in the application form (Part A).
- Copy of personal identification document with photo (ID or passport) that the applicant will use throughout the scholarship and application process for positive identification to be given access to the selection's tests and interviews.
Differently from previous years, only applicants awarded a Scholarship will be requested to provide the above mentioned supporting documents to prove their eligibility for this Scholarship Programme. At the moment of applying for the Scholarship applicants will fill-in the application form under their own responsibility. On the application form applicants are asked to declare whether they meet the eligibility criteria and whether they have the supporting documents to prove it. The Contracting Authority will require submission of the supporting documents from applicants selected for an award at the end of the selection process. The Contracting Authority reserves the right to cancel an award to a successful applicant in case(s) he is not able to provide such documents within the deadline set by the Contracting Authority after the end of the selection. The Contracting Authority reserves also the right to request clarifications and to demand submission of further supporting documents from successful applicants as well as to check the origin of submitted documents. The award of the Scholarship to those successful applicants whose documents show evidence of being fabricated will be cancelled.
The only document required from applicants at the moment of submitting the application, together with 2 passport size photos, is a copy of a personal identification document with photo (ID or passport) that the applicant will use throughout the scholarship and application process for positive identification to be given access to the selection's tests and interviews.
The success throughout the selection process does not give, per-se, an applicant any right to a Scholarship award unless (s)he can prove her/his eligibility to the Programme by providing to the Contracting Authority the above mentioned supporting documents upon the request of the Contracting Authority at the end of the selection process.
Please follow guidelines and fill in the forms below as necessary:
Annex A: Guidance and Sample Application form for Type A - Undergraduate can be downloaded from here.
- The link to the ONLINE APPLICATION FORM is: https://apply.abburs.eu/new/
Bank Details only for successful applicants can be downloaded from can be found here.
Contract sample for information only, for successful applicants can be found here.
Sample Beneficiary/Student report(s) template only for successful applicants. The template will be made available for successful scholars in the Student Portal.
For further information: Contact us