Type B - Postgraduate (PG)
TYPE B POSTGRADUATE
HOW TO MAKE AN ONLINE APPLICATION
Please read “THE GUIDELINES FOR APPLICANTS’ before completing your application.
Use the CANDIDATES’ PORTAL https://apply.abburs.eu/new to make an ONLINE APPLICATION
Please click on the this link for a Sample POSTGRADUATE Application Form and Guidance document to help applicants to complete the online application form. DO NOT complete or try to fill in the sample form. Complete the ONLINE application form and print a copy as per the instructions.
Remember to PRINT A PDF VERSION of your application and submit a SIGNED AND DATED HARD COPY as well.
Enclose all DOCUMENTS LISTED IN PART D –SECTION 12 of the SAMPLE APPLICATION document into your application envelope and tick the boxes as appropriate
Further important documents can be found on the bottom of this page.
Scholarship TYPE B – Postgraduate (PG):
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA AND DOCUMENTS REQUIRED
FOR POSTGRADUATE - TYPE B APPLICATIONS
Applicants applying under Scholarship TYPE B-PG must be graduate or undergraduate students expecting to graduate by the end of July 2017 at the latest. Graduates of previous academic years wishing to increase their knowledge and/or skills are also eligible to apply.
Within this category, applicants will compete in 3 different rankings.
B1: Turkish Cypriot Graduates who never studied at a university or higher education institution outside the northern part of Cyprus will compete on a separate ranking list for an approximate 64% of the available budget for Type B scholarships as indicated on page 2 under Budget.
- B2: Turkish Cypriot Graduates, who studied one full academic year or more in a university located within the European Union, but outside the northern part of Cyprus, will compete on a separate ranking list for an approximate 21% of the budget for Type B scholarships as indicated on page 2 under Budget.
- B3: Turkish Cypriot Graduates who studied one full academic year or more in a university located outside the European Union will compete on a separate ranking list for an approximate 15% of the budget for Type B scholarships as indicated on page 2 under Budget.
Grantees under this category will be able to follow a postgraduate programme for the academic year 2017/18 in a university or equivalent institution of higher education (formally accredited by the authorities of the host country) in an EU Member State (with the exclusion of the northern part of Cyprus).
NB: For undergraduate students attending the 3rd year of a 4 years programme (e.g., MEng, MPharm, etc.): the 4th year of such programmes may be an eligible postgraduate programme under the terms of this Scholarship only where and if at the end of the 3rd year of studies the hosting University issues a full, stand alone, 3 years Bachelor degree.
The scholarships will be awarded exclusively for the Academic Year 2017/18, which under the terms of the call is considered to run from 1st September 2017 to 31st August 2018. The scholarship has to be taken in 2017/18 and cannot be postponed. Academic calendars vary in different countries, thus slightly different calendars may be accepted. The scholarships will cover one academic year of the programme of study. The programme chosen must be full-time.
- A scholarship in the form of a lump sum of €15,000 will be granted calculated on the basis of €1,420 a month (on the formula that one academic year lasts an indicative period of 10 months) plus €800 for expenses for a flight ticket (allowance based on an average return flight fare in economy class).
- A scholarship in the form of a lump sum of €7,500 will be granted on the basis of €750 a month (on the formula that one academic year lasts an indicative period of 10 months) for grantees choosing to study in Cyprus (with the exclusion of the northern part of Cyprus).
- Under this scholarships programme family or child allowances cannot be paid.
Based on the utilization of funds, the Contracting Authority, the British Council, reserves the right to award scholarships to a maximum of 2 outstanding graduates for up to 3 years of a postgraduate study. These graduates will be chosen from those who have never studied outside the northern part of Cyprus. The 2 selected applicants will have obtained the highest scores during the evaluation process out of the group who have applied for the postgraduate programmes that are more than 1 year in length. The scholarship sum for the additional years will be equal to the annual lump sum granted for the first year of study and will be subject to reports on attendance and successful completion of the academic year.
Applicants who are already working are advised to make appropriate arrangements with their employers with regard to their work leave before applying. They will have to clarify with their employer themselves the contractual/financial arrangements related to their period of study and their return to work.
Eligibility Criteria for Postgraduate:
- Must belong to the Turkish Cypriot community.
- Must be born in Cyprus or one of the parents must be born in Cyprus.
- Must be able to attend and complete the programme and must declare that there are no health conditions that prevent them from doing so.
- Must hold a university degree. Undergraduate students enrolled in the final year of their undergraduate programme may apply on the condition that they are awarded the Bachelor’s degree by end of July 2017. Failure to graduate will lead to withdrawal of the grants, if awarded.
- Must have studied at least 7 years full time in Cyprus (in a primary, secondary and high school in Cyprus or in a higher education institution located in the northern part of Cyprus). The minimum period of 7 years does not have to be continuous and will be considered cumulatively from any of these types of institutions.
- Must have sufficient knowledge of the language of the programme chosen at the host university or equivalent institution of higher education.
- Must not have benefited from any scholarship grant under previous EU programmes for the TC Community. I.e. the Community Scholarship Programme 2007/08 and 2008/09, the EU Scholarship Programme 2009/10 and the Scholarships for the Turkish Cypriot Community Programme 2010/11, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2013/14, 2014/15, 2015/16 and 2016/17.
Applicants who do not meet all the eligibility criteria above will be rejected.
Required documents for Postgraduate:
- 2 recent passport size photographs.
- Copy of the birth certificate showing that the applicant belongs to the Turkish Cypriot community and was born in Cyprus (only a copy of the birth certificate will be accepted and not an ID card or passport copy). Where the applicant was born outside Cyprus, in addition to the copy of the applicant's birth certificate, a copy of the birth certificate of one of the parents showing that (s)he belongs to the Turkish Cypriot community and was born in Cyprus should also be submitted (the applicant is required to submit documents with identical full name of the parent on both the applicant's birth certificate and the parent's birth certificate). The Contracting Authority reserves the right to require additional proof of effective ties with the Turkish Cypriot community as necessary to perform the analysis of compliance with the above eligibility criteria.
- Copies all diplomas (Bachelors and Masters and PhD if applicable) of a university or equivalent higher institution. If the applicant is an undergraduate student expecting to graduate by July 2017, copy of the transcripts for the last full academic year attended and proof of enrollment to the final year of his/her undergraduate studies.
- Copies of additional certificates, transcripts, student reports/diplomas proving that the applicant studied cumulatively at least 7 years full time in Cyprus (in a primary, secondary, high school in Cyprus or in a higher education institution located in the northern part of Cyprus). These may be obtained from your school/university or relevant education authority. Please note that certificates or transcripts must be presented for each academic year, proving the required 7 cumulative full-time years, including, where applicable, this current academic year. NB: if the applicant is enrolled for the current academic year (i.e. 2016/17) in a higher education institution in the northern part of Cyprus, the current academic year will count towards attaining the 7 years herewith mentioned as one of the minimum eligibility requirements.
- Certificate of Residence proving the applicant’s current valid address. The address has to be the same as in the application form (Part A).
- Copy of a personal identification document with photo (ID or passport) that the applicant will use throughout the scholarship and application process for the positive identification to be given access to the selection's tests and interviews
Differently from previous years, only applicants awarded a Scholarship will be requested to provide the above mentioned supporting documents to prove their eligibility for this Scholarship Programme. At the moment of applying for the Scholarship applicants will fill-in the application form under their own responsibility. On the application form applicants are asked to declare whether they meet the eligibility criteria and whether they have the supporting documents to prove it.The Contracting Authority will require submission of the supporting documents from applicants selected for an award at the end of the selection process. The Contracting Authority reserves the right to cancel an award to a successful applicant in case (s) he is not able to provide such documents within the deadline set by the Contracting Authority after the end of the selection. The Contracting Authority reserves also the right to request clarifications and to demand submission of further supporting documents from successful applicants as well as to check the origin of the submitted documents. The award of the Scholarship to those successful applicants whose documents show evidence of being fabricated will be cancelled.
The only document required from applicants at the moment of submitting the application, together with 2 passport size photos, is a copy of a personal identification document with photo (ID or passport) that the applicant will use throughout the scholarship and application process for positive identification to be given access to the selection's tests and interviews.
The success throughout the selection process does not give, per-se, an applicant any right to a Scholarship award unless (s)he can prove her/his eligibility to the Programme by providing to the Contracting Authority the above mentioned supporting documents upon the request of the Contracting Authority at the end of the selection process.
Please follow guidelines and fill in the forms below as necessary:
Annex A: Guidance and Sample Application form for Type B - Postgraduate can be downloaded from here.
- The link to the ONLINE APPLICATION FORM is: https://apply.abburs.eu/new/
Bank Details only for successful applicants can be downloaded from can be found here.
Contract sample for information only, for successful applicants can be found here.
Sample Beneficiary/Student report(s) template only for successful applicants. The template will be made available for successful scholars in the Student Portal.
For further information: Contact us